Legal Representation For Work Visas And Green Cards

While there are many options for working in the United States, the immigration laws are complex and limited. Furthermore, immigration law and policy are constantly changing, sometimes closing doors and other times opening them for immigrant workers. That is why it is important to work with an immigration attorney who stays up to date on the law and will honestly evaluate all of your options for obtaining a U.S. work visa or employment-based green card.

At the Law Office of Suzanne Granja in San Diego, California, we have more than just 20 years of experience in immigration law. We also have a drive to help people realize their professional goals. This drive comes from personal experience — attorney Suzanne Granja's father immigrated to the United States to specialize in cardiology. Ms. Granja is also a former corporate immigration lawyer who knows that it's difficult to get personal attention from large assembly-line immigration firms. In her own practice, she takes the time to get to know her clients so that she can guide them down the best path based on their unique immigration goals.

What Are Your Available Options?

We help clients obtain the following temporary employment-based immigrant work visas:

  • H visas (specialty occupation): The most common H visa, the H-1B, allows people to come to the U.S. to work in specialty occupations. You must have an employer sponsor to obtain an H-1B visa.
  • L visas (intracompany transfer): The L visa, or intracompany transfer visa, allows a current employee of a company to come to the U.S. to work at an affiliate, branch, parent or subsidiary of the company. This visa is available only for managers, executives and employees with specialized knowledge.
  • O and P visas (extraordinary ability): O and P visas are reserved for individuals with extraordinary ability (for example, we have helped individuals skilled in the martial arts) and national/international acclaim in one of these fields: science, education, business, art, athletics and motion pictures/television.
  • E visas (treaty traders and investors): Foreign nationals of U.S. treaty countries who wish to engage in trade with the U.S. (the E-1 visa) or invest in a qualified U.S. business (E-2 visa) can apply for an E visa.

There are very specific requirements for each of the above nonimmigrant visas.

You can learn more about each individual work visa by visiting the U.S. Department of State's temporary work visa page or by calling us for a free telephone consultation: 760-494-0302.

Your Options: Immigrant Visas

Immigrant visas allow you to work permanently in the U.S. and receive a U.S. green card (permanent residence). We help clients apply for the following visas:

  • EB-1 visas: This visa is for people with extraordinary ability and may provide a faster route for those in the arts, education, sciences, athletics or business; outstanding professors and researchers; and multinational executives/managers.
  • EB-2 visas: This visa is for people with an advanced degree; those with exceptional ability in the sciences, art or business; or those who qualify for the national interest waiver.
  • EB-3 visas: This visa is for skilled workers, professionals and certain unskilled workers. There is a significant backlog for individuals wishing to obtain this visa.

As with temporary worker visas, you must meet specific requirements to be eligible for an EB/E visa, and the availability depends on the type of visa you wish to receive. But premium processing on extraordinary ability visas can sometimes be approved faster than national interest waivers.

You can learn more by visiting the USCIS employment immigration page. Then contact us to discuss your particular case.

Finding The Best Solution For Your Unique Situation

Traditionally, the H-1B process has been the most common way to obtain a temporary work visa to the U.S. Unfortunately, there are significant challenges with the H-1B visa, such as the small number of visas available every year that cap out quickly and the difficult path to obtain a green card. You may have other options.

For some people, that means seeking an EB-2 visa through a national interest waiver. For others, it means obtaining a green card after F-1/OPT (optional professional training).

When we meet with you, we can discuss your available options. For a free telephone consultation with attorney Suzanne Granja, please call 760-494-0302 or send us an email. We offer payment plans.

Hablamos español.