A Commitment To Reuniting Families

In our family-based immigration practice, we help reunite families from around the world so they can create a new future together in the United States. We can handle any family-based immigration matter, including family-based petitions, relative visas, fiancé(e) visas and marriage visas.

U.S. immigration laws allow families to reunite with their relatives, but it can be a long and difficult process. Many people put their names on a list of immigrant hopefuls and then wait years before they can immigrate. An experienced immigration attorney can make the process less stressful by ensuring you complete the proper forms (such as the Form I-130 Petition for Alien Relative or the Form I-129F Petition for Alien Fiancés), meet the requirements and have the information you need to immigrate to the U.S. or sponsor a relative.

Your Future Is Important To Us

At the Law Office of Suzanne Granja, we care about our clients' futures. We will honestly explain your options for family immigration, including how long the current wait is for people in your visa category. Throughout the process, we will be there for you. If you work with us, your attorney — not another office member — will answer your phone calls and questions.

Contact us for a free telephone consultation by calling 760-494-0302. We are located in San Diego but provide immigration services to people nationwide.

Family Immigration Categories

There are two main categories through which U.S. citizens or permanent residents can petition for relatives to come to the U.S. as permanent residents (green card holders): immediate relative and family preference visas.

Immediate Relative Immigrant Visas

There is an unlimited number of visas for immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, including:

  • Spouses (IR-1 visa)
  • Unmarried children under 21 years old (IR-2 visa)
  • Parents of U.S. citizens over 21 years old (IR-5 visa)
  • Adopted orphans (IR-2 and IR-3 visas)

These visas are easier to obtain and do not have the long wait times that family preference immigrant visas have.

Family Preference Immigrant Visas

A limited number of people can immigrate to the U.S. every year through the family preference immigrant visa program. Your wait time will depend on your relationship with a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident, your home country and the number of people who have already requested a visa in your category. The family preference categories are:

  • First preference (F1 visa): U.S. citizens' unmarried adult children
  • Second preference (F2A and F2B visas): Lawful permanent residents' spouses and minor children and unmarried adult children
  • Third preference (F3 visa): U.S. citizens' married children
  • Fourth preference (F4 visa): Siblings of U.S. citizens over 21 years old

For more information about petitioning for a relative to immigrate to the U.S., we recommend visiting the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) website.

Discuss Your Options With An Experienced Immigration Lawyer

In addition to the visas listed above, we handle fiancé(e) visas (K-1 visas), K-3 and K-4 nonimmigrant visas and other family-based immigration matters.

Attorney Suzanne Granja has represented individuals in U.S. immigration matters for more than 20 years. She understands U.S. immigration laws and stays up to date on changes in immigration policy. To put her knowledge and experience to work for you, please call for a free telephone consultation: 760-494-0302. You can also contact us online.

We offer affordable representation and payment plans. Hablamos español.