Obtaining A U.S. Green Card/Permanent Residence

At the Law Office of Suzanne Granja in San Diego, we are committed to helping individuals from around the world realize their U.S. immigration goals. We have helped countless people obtain U.S. green cards (permanent residence) through family members or employment.

Attorney Suzanne Granja has been a member of the American Immigration Lawyers Association since 1997 — she has dedicated her legal career to helping immigrants find lasting solutions. During her free telephone consultation with you, she will give you an honest evaluation of your immigration case and your chances of success. Please contact us by calling 760-494-0302.

Employment-Based Green Cards

There are several ways you can obtain a green card through employment in the U.S.:

  • Self-petition: Our law office is skilled at obtaining green cards through self-petition. Individuals who qualify as "aliens of extraordinary ability," "advanced degree professionals" or "aliens of exceptional ability" may be able to self-petition. Learn more by visiting our page on national interest waivers.
  • Employment-based petition: The typical process for obtaining an employment-based green card involves employer sponsorship. Your employer must go through a labor certification process, which proves that you are not taking a job opportunity away from a U.S. citizen, and then file Form I-140 ("Immigrant Petition for Alien Worker").
  • Investment: If you make a substantial investment in the U.S. that creates jobs for U.S. workers, you can obtain a green card.

Family-Based Green Cards

U.S. citizens or lawful permanent residents (LPRs) can petition to have their relatives join them in the United States. The number of green cards available through family-based petitions is limited each year, so there can be long wait times to immigrate. The wait times depend on your home country, your relationship with the U.S. citizen/LPR and the number of people who have requested a visa.

To learn about the options for family-based green cards, please visit our page on family immigration.

Adjustment Of Status And Consular Processing

There are two ways to apply for a green card, depending on where you are when you create the application:

  • Consular processing: If you live outside of the U.S., you will need to go through consular processing to obtain a green card. Once your immigrant number is available and your petition has been approved, you can apply for a green card through your U.S. Department of State consulate.
  • Adjustment of status: If you are already in the United States, you may choose to "change your status" rather than return to your home country for consular processing. Once your immigrant number is available and your petition has been approved, you can file Form I-485 (Application to Register Permanent Residence or Adjust Status) and attend an interview to request permanent residency.

Call For A Free Telephone Consultation

Learn how we can help you apply for U.S. permanent residency by calling 760-494-0302 or sending us an email. We offer free telephone consultations, reasonable pricing and payment plans.

Hablamos español.